[SC.LUG] Trebus & UTF-8

Frank Mitchell mitchell at cloudynwuk.force9.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 18:53:12 GMT 2006

If your all your File & Directory Names are in ASCII characters, Trebus
should work whatever Locale & Codepage you use, at least if your language is
English. Trebus should record File Contents okay anyway, whatever they are.
Only the File & Directory Names in your CD Directory Tree are affected by
Locale & Codepage.

Obviously I've just discovered that RedHat, SusE, and Ubuntu all default to
UTF-8 characters nowadays, not the Western European Codepage ISO8859-1.
UTF-8 is a Multibyte Encoding of Unicode, but it leaves ASCII as ASCII. So
if you're an English user and you pad your UTF-8 characters with Nulls you
still get the UCS-2 form of Unicode to record on your Trebus CD, much as if
it was ISO8859-1.

Sorry about the oversight, I should have discovered this earlier. I know how
to fix it in the next version. You only have a problem if you get
Foreign-Language documents with accented characters in the titles. In case
of doubt, obviously, experiment on an old machine.

Plus I've just discovered several malloc()s without any free()s in the final
Writing Stage. That's called a Memory Leak. They're not that serious, but
they didn't used to exist. Alas Valgrind is too slow to run while recording
a CD. Oh well...

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell