[SC.LUG] Switch 2 Linux

Simeon W Farrington sub_mail at farrin.org.uk
Wed Jan 18 16:15:21 GMT 2006

Hi Mike

I have to say that for encouraging people to switch, the SuSE
installation routine (as shown by the screenshots) are far more likely
to encourage people that it's going to be easy to make that switch and
to use (easy in the "I use to a computer to do my daily job" category,
rather than "I'm an enthusiast that wants to meddle with linux"). Just
text as in Ubuntu install would more likely scare people away (although
what proportion of windows users would be confident in installing
windows itself is another matter).

Personally I prefer the Ubuntu approach but then given I run Debian
that's probably not a surprise :p

However you look at it though, the install routines have got so much
slicker over.  I suspect that's been driven by RH, Mandrake and SuSE
trying to persuade people that you don't have to be an enthusiast to run
linux as much as anything.

All interesting stuff though