[SC.LUG] Going Green.

Jason Lucas jason.lucas7 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 24 03:41:54 BST 2006

OK, I'm getting more *into* green issues - I'm starting to really worry
about the state of the environment, and I think that us geeks really
need to address some of the issues of the steadily increasing power
consumption of computers. The box I'm using now has a psu rated at 200w
- around the power of 4 standard light bulbs. I see top end gaming boxes
with 1000w power supplies. That equates the the same power used by a
'one bar' or 'low setting' of an electric fire. Hell, a kettle is only
2000w and only used for a few minutes a day & that can rack up the
'leccy bill. We need to tame these power hungry computers. Any
suggestions?

Jason