[SC.LUG] Going Green.

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 25 10:26:47 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 14:44 +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> you will find the typical PC (nothing fancy) probably uses ~20-30 watts
> when its not doing much and perhaps 60-100 when its running flat out.

Still a lot more than your old RISC machines, Ian ;-P

> My biggest annoyance environmentally is that I like to keep my PC
> running. it doesnt have to be _doing_ anything, but I like to simply sit
> down and have it showing what I was last doing.

Here old laptops are good - close the lid and they suspend,
open up and you're back where you were. But forget 1600x1200 :-/

But as I said in my previous post, it's manufacture that could
be argued the biggest user of energy and resources. An old PC running
all the time is better than an old PC in a skip replaced by a
new PC running all the time :-(

Richard Smedley,                                      RichardS at bvsc.org
Free Software Evangelist,
Midland Open Source Technology.                 http://www.most.org.uk/
                           ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''