[SC.LUG] Re: mini-ITX

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 3 20:37:48 GMT 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 20:21, Geoff wrote:
> Has anyone looked at/bought a mini-ITX board?
> Not currently sure about driver support

Hello Geoff,

I tried one of my own, and one on review from UKLinux.net,
about 3 years ago - at that time Debian was fine with all
of the chip sets out of the box, but - as in the case of
nVidia and ATI today - accelerated hardware video (eg to
tuen the box into a PVR) was only available as a BLOB
(proprietary plug-in to the kernel).
I don't know how much it has changed - but UKLinux are
still selling pre-installed ITX boxen - although they are moving
to Intel for more graphics power, and faster processors as VIA
boards are not increasing their speed as much each year.
We had an ITX at work a few weeks ago, I think it was fine,
though I couldn't necessarily tell you which BSD or GNU
was put on it.

http://www.linitx.org/ is probably still the best source of info.

HTH,

Richard Smedley,                                         Richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant,
                                 ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''