[SC.LUG] RE: SC Digest, Vol 137, Issue 1

Michael A Orton michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 20:47:53 BST 2006

SuSe 10.1
Open office 2.0 is so very like MS office pro.
BUT you have to edit the personel settings (use green globe extreem left
on toolbar, to get double click on mouse.

Impress is a bout s good as Power Point.
The Write is better then MS Word as it will also create Acrobat .pdf files
Calc is just like Excel and if you are knoledgable you can do more with the
database than MS Access.
Gimp-2 is like photoshop.

It will cost you all of ?2 per cd plus postage, 5x?2 + p&p.    from LinuxISO.
You can install on one or 1000 PCs.

Mine runs very well on a HP Brio P-3 550Mhz 256 meg ram
as  well as XP on a 512 meg P-4 2 GHz PC.
Yes SuSe 10.1, the latest and rival to VISTA will run on Pcs fit for the
skip.
if the ran 98se it will be fine with SuSe 10.1
If you have 386s or 486s you can run DSL linux and browse the web with no
problems. You probably need 16 to 32 meg RAM and a 120 MEG HD.

I Have tried ubuntu and didn't like it, but I am told it runs on even crappier
PCs than SuSe will.

You won't find the learning curve very great, KDE desktop is very much like
win 3.1 to 98se.
AND if you don't let the users have root acces they can't bugger the system
up.

Mike Orton., CSci., CPhys., MInstP., MSRP., DCT(Batt). PGCE(Wales).
All outgoing mail checked using FRISK's FP-win
or F-prot for Linux with daily updates.