[SC.LUG] Introduction

John Harding jdharding at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 21:58:34 BST 2007

Hi,

As requested, here is a little introduction about myself:

I currently work in IT for a financial company in Macclesfield and live on
the edges of the town with my fiancee and (almost) three-year old son. I am
due to get married in early October. I did both a BSc and an MSc at
Lancaster University in Computer Science with Software Engineering and then
Critical Systems Engineering. I am currently working (slowly) towards my LPI
certification, and having been on the ludicrously expensive VMWare course
would like to take the VCP exam.

My first exposure to the Linux world was Corel Linux, a freebie on a CD I
was given. I was not overly impressed with it, but BeOS - my next
introduction to a non-Windows system simply took my breath away. If I had
been less-game obsessed (I was 17!), then undoubtedly I would not have had a
Windows OS at Uni.

Since then however, I have always had a flavour of Linux installed  as a
secondary Operating System. The lack of gaming support and lack of
user-friendliness in the configuration was always a big issue for me. SuSE
was for the most part the Linux OS of choice - with its superb, if not
overly efficient YaST being streets ahead IMO.

I also had Gentoo installed for awhile - the install taught me more about
the computers than anything else I know. PCLOS and RedHat also had spells on
my systems with Ubuntu being completed despised (its the GNOME desktop)

Last year I rescued a computer from my old neighbours skip and it became my
server hosting my mail, web and anything else which needs to get dumped on
an always on server. CentOS was installed along with Qmail, Apache,
Squirrelmail and others. And its probably caused my less problems than most
of the over hundred servers in our datacentre!!!!

I am now downloading Sabayon for a butchers, use Kubuntu and have an
installation of OpenSuSE. As yet Linux is my mostly primary Operating System
and I would just about complete the move for one reason - Wireless support.
Currently I need the rt2500 module and I have found that it makes my systems
a touch unstable. In the new year, or even the back end of this one, I shall
be moving into an office downstairs, a mere two foot from my router (and not
twenty!), and the wireless card which I have detested for so long can go,
and so can Windows. Until then, I have to live with it installed on my
system, just in case.

John