[SC.LUG] Ubuntu laptop

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 20:05:32 GMT 2007

Hi Richard,

> The next stage of my quest is to provide a full-scale demo of KnowledgeTree
> on Ubuntu (by preference) at someone else's offices. They will provide a
> closed network for me, I 'just' need to configure another 'server'. I was
> thinking of taking a laptop or at least a small form factor PC.
>
> I don't have a huge amount of time to spend on this. Where can I get such a
> device in Cheshire? Can anyone suggest a fasttrack approach - I already
> have an Ubuntu server running on a new server - can I copy large portions
> of the HDD to another machine and have it work the same way?
>
> Any ideas?

Sorry, I was away at Fosdem for the weekend.
I am assuming that you have done this now, but just in case -
Small form factor machines are available from places such as MicroDirect and
Aria or depending if you have time to drive to Bolton, Scan.
CheepLinux sells Mini-ITX machines ready configured with Linux.

You can ghost over a hard drive, but remember the system will expect the same
hardware configuration.
I have done this once to a different hardware (PC to a micro laptop Toshiba
Libretto) and was lucky that it only complained about a the graphics card and
screen. It really depends on what you have configured.

Throwing on a base OS should be much less than an hour.
More important questions would be just what are they providing for a closed
network? Is this just a crossover cable or do they have IP ranges they want
you to work on.

A real cheat would be just to throw in a live CD distribution and run with
that.

Let us know what you did.

Regards
John