[SC.LUG] Re: Ubuntu first steps apt-get and openssh

Marroc Danderfluff marrocdanderfluff at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jan 22 21:50:44 GMT 2007

Hi Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I know you're busy.

> On 22 January 2007 18:50, Richard Smedley wrote:
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:51:40 +0000 (GMT) Marroc Danderfluff wrote:
> > Aptitude was showing 'installed packages' and
> 'not-installed packages'
> > I have set up eth0 and inet so that I can ping ubuntu.com and other
> > websites - that works I've modified /etc/apt/sources.list
> so that it
> > doesn't look at the CD I tried "sudo apt-get install openssh-server"
> > It fails to contact any of the repositories
>
> Okay, let's see if we're connecting first. What does:
> sudo apt-get update
> produce?
It produced reams of text so I knocked sources.list back to one entry: deb
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted
...and this is what I got:

richard at ubuntuPercy-Linux:~$ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
Ign http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/restricted Packages
Errhttp://gb.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    404 Not Found
Errhttp://gb.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/restricted Packages
    404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper/main/binary-i386/Packages.g
    404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper/restricted/binary-i386/Pack
ages.gz
    404 Not Found
Reading package lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

> and:
> ping gb.archive.ubuntu.com
> ?

No packet loss, 40 - 50ms response
More than that, I can open the Package.gz files in Firefox using the links
in this email
The server is behind a NATs router/firewall on 192.168.1.1 I don't know if
that makes a difference here?

> You may have commented out the repositories in your
> source.list Did you modify it in a text editor, or  from Aptitude?

I used vim to edit it down to one line as mentioned above.

> > Is openssh-server the tool I need in order to unplug the
> monitor from
> > the server and manage it using Cygwin on my Windows laptop?
>
> Yes.
Thanks

> > How do I
> > add it to the startup scripts so that it always runs?
>
> We can go though this later if necessary, but I think you'll
> find that Ubuntu sets it up by default.

Does anyone else have any ideas too?

Richard