[SC.LUG] Re: Ubuntu Glitch

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Sun Jul 29 15:57:10 BST 2007

Thanks to Richard & George.

> Is it a clean install, or an upgrade from an
> earlier ubuntu?

Brand new - I wiped over Suse 9.2. It's worked fine for a couple of
weeks until 10 days ago. Then I played with the permissions a little
(wish I hadn't!) and installed MythTV. I then removed Myth TV (not sure
how it works yet - it's a bit out of my league technically) but still
have a /home/mythtv folder that I can't delete.
> chmod 644 /home/<your username>/.dmrc
>
> This will set the necessary permissions. & type:
>
> chown <your username> /home/<your username>/.dmrc
>
> sudo chmod 755 /home/<your username>

Done all this and it gets rid of the startup message OK. It did reappear
but I repeated these commands and the message has gone again.

Still can't get online at all. Router works fine and I only have one
ethernet card. Any suggestions anyone?

BTW my permissions at the moment show 'Folder Access' Owner - Create &
Delete,  Group - Access,  Others - Create & Delete.   File Access
options are all blank.

>> PS - when's the next meeting?
>>

> Short Answer:
> Whenever you like.

Chelford, anyone? A Monday evening perhaps?