[SC.LUG] Fwd: [OSC-Members] Interesting CNN Article

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Mon May 14 23:03:28 BST 2007

>  Microsoft really must be getting desperate to consider going after its own
> customers. Interesting they now put a number on the patent FUD.
>
>  On a related issue does anyone here develop in Mono have any opinions on the
> IP issue therein..

I've not touched it and I find it mind boggling that people are writing
so much free software in a language that has such a shakey foundation.
It's not like there aren't alternatives.

Mind boggled doesn't go far enough infact. This allows people to move
their applications from Microsoft operating systems to free ones - I
can't imagine many making the reverse journey can you? The only possible
thing it does is "grow mindshare" but I can't see Microsoft's
shareholders being happy with the return from that. Furthermore it's
unofficial, as far as I know Microsoft has never supported or endorsed it.

Compare this to Java where even prior to the GPL'ing they were providing
official versions of the runtime to allow it to be run on non-Solaris
operating systems. With Java you could see a motive for them to allow it
- they are selling tools, consultancy, support, certification etc. and
Linux to big iron Solaris if your app gets successful is not unimaginable.

Additionally if you're writing Open Source software then surely there's
less of a need to use either of these as if you supply the source code
then the packages can be compiled to support whatever native environment
  they're to be used on.

George