[SC.LUG] Transferring to linux

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 13:52:26 BST 2007

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007, ian wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 12:04 +0100, Matthew Tolley wrote:
>>
>> (2)     What file extensions in linux are equivalent to program files in
>> MS (such as .exe)? And where will I find them?
>
> There arent and you wont...

I'm sure he should be able to find executables with a bit of searching,
try
echo $PATH

>> (3)    I've downloaded a firefox plugin as a .bin file - how do I
>> install it?
>
> a) check it isnt packaged by your OS already
> b) try executing the .bin file (as root if you want it installed
> system-wide). Be sure you trust its origins as always.
>
>> (4)    On other OSs, having more than one AV is a no-no. Is this also
>> the case on Linux? For some reason ClamAV hasn't configured correctly on
>> my machine. How do I fix this? Does anyone use F-Prot or Aegis and how
>> do you rate it?
>
> Havent felt the need for any AV software on my box.

It might depend if you're using your machine as a server email m/c for
other people who haven't yet seen the light

>> (5)   I moved to Thunderbird because it seems the most highly
>> recommended email client (David's advocacy of Kmail notwithstanding).
>> Thanks to Robert who sent me the link on deleting duplicate emails (this
>> works really well). My mail headers in Thunderbird have way too much
>> information though (about 20 lines of it) - how can I change this? I
>> only really need the sender's email, addressees, date and subject.
>
> Im pretty sure it has a 'terse headers' option in the menus.

It does - you may have turned on the verbose stuff at an earlier stage

>> (6)     I'm using Amarok because it's always so highly recommended in
>> the Linux magazines (seems to keep coming out tops in the reviews) and
>> it supposedly supports flac files, of which I have quite a lot. But when
>> I ask it to play .flac files it says "no available decoder". How do I
>> fix this?
>
> Install flac ?

Can't remember which distro you're using, but if you're using the xine
engine to play under amarok you'll also need something like xine-flac
installing.

I find that some flac's just won't play with amarok/xine - but most do
without problems

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/