[SC.LUG] Transferring to linux - and File Managers

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Wed Oct 10 12:53:36 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 12:03 +0100, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Incidentally, what file managers do people like? I'm not sure
> if Ubuntu defaults to Nautilus or Thunar, but I'm considering
> alternatives that are easy to use and good-looking, with speed
> of searching being a lesser consideration also.

Ubuntu with GNOME uses Nautilus. I expect XUbuntu uses Thunar.

The two most likely alternatives for graphical file manager are
rox-filer and Konqueror. Which you will prefer is really a
personal matter, however Konqueror works as a web browser
as well, and can do things like drag-copy files between
two remote servers over ssh, using fish://

MC (Midnight Commander) runs on the command-line, but does
everything that you need. You can also do most operations
within Emacs, as I'm sure that Robert will confirm ;-)

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org