[SC.LUG] [Fwd: [lugmaster] FAB 2008 - Call for Abstracts (File Storage and Backups)]

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Mon Oct 29 16:22:01 GMT 2007

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Zeth Green <theology at gmail.com>
To: A closed discussion list for UK LUGMasters.
<lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [lugmaster] FAB 2008 - Call for Abstracts (File Storage and
Backups)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:28:47 +0000

Hi Guys,

One of my many hats is that I am involved in UKUUG. If you think the
following event might be of interest to anyone in your LUG then please
forward it on to them.

In short, FAB 2008 is an event, held on February 19th-20th in Central
London, for system administrators to come together and share
experiences of deploying systems and surviving disasters (and
hopefully recoveries too!). Obviously being UKUUG, we are primarily
interested in talks about setups that somehow involve
Linux/BSD/Solaris/Open Source and so on rather than just Windows
alone.

Cheers,
Zeth

------------

FAB 2008 - File Storage and Backup Seminars - Call for Papers

Disk storage capacities have taken off enormously in the past few
years, while user expectations of data storage have become more
exacting as data is being produced at a frantic rate and the
management of this data has become critical to the core functions of
many organisations. This has changed the problems of data management
that the system administrator has to cope with. These seminars, held
in Central London, is a review of current best practice and
technologies for the system administrator.

The seminar consists of two parts: Wednesday February 19th looks at
storage, Thursday February 20th looks at backups and recovery. We need
your presentations!

Suitable topics for FAB presentations include, but are not limited to:

    * Storage in the Data Centre
    * Backups in the Data Centre
    * High availability
    * High performance
    * Replication
    * SANs
    * File systems
    * Media: Tape/CD/DVD/rsync/etc
    * Backup suites
    * Disaster Recovery
    * Disk failure: detection and recovery
    * Case studies/Experience with deployed systems
    * Experiences of disasters and recoveries
    * Papers based on real, practical experience will be especially welcome!

Key dates

February 1st 2008 - Deadline for seminar materials
Wednesday February 19th 2008 - FAB1 - Files and Storage
Thursday February 20th 2008 - FAB2 - Backups and Recovery

Please send abstracts or questions to fab at ukuug.org. You can also
visit the homepage at http://www.ukuug.org/events/seminars/fab/

M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org