[SC.LUG] OpenOffice in schools

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Mon Sep 10 16:08:19 BST 2007

> On a more philosophical level, if Linux etc is to make inroads into
> the Windoze environment, it has to be able to read and write
> compatibly with MS Office, otherwise no-one will ever give Linux a go.

Agreed 100%. MS will try to make it as hard as possible, but we have to
make sure we keep one step ahead of them.

I've noticed that many files I get as doc files, for example, become 40%
or more smaller when I save them as odt files.

Are there technical reasons why ODFs use less system resources, or is it
just because they lose some of the formatting of the original files
(which can be annoying)?

Matthew