Fwd: [SC.LUG] OpenOffice in schools

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Mon Sep 10 16:30:19 BST 2007

On 10/09/2007, Matthew Tolley <matthew at matthewtolley.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that many files I get as doc files, for example, become 40%
> or more smaller when I save them as odt files.
>
> Are there technical reasons why ODFs use less system resources, or is it
> just because they lose some of the formatting of the original files
> (which can be annoying)?

It's because an ODF file is a bunch of XML files, zipped together.
Because they're in a zip archive, they're compressed, and so the
resulting file is quite small (especially as XML files, being text,
compress well).

On the other hand, this is why OOo used to be quite slow at opening &
saving files, although it's now a lot quicker than it used to be.

Russ