[Fwd: Re: [SC.LUG] Backing Up & Transferring Data]

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 07:02:42 BST 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Richard Smedley wrote:

>> 3) 	I'd like to back up my evolution mail, address book, notes and
>> Calendar Data, plus my Firefox Bookmarks and Thunderbird Mail. The
>> problem I have is that when I search for any of these, I don't just have
>> one file called 'bookmarks', for example. I have dozens spread over many
>> different directories. can you advise on the file paths for all the
>> above so I can copy and transfer these files? I'm sadly unfamiliar with
>> the linux filesystem (up to now!).
>
> Firefox should keep its bookmarks in
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/[randomletters].default/bookmarks.html
> Simplest would be to just back up your .mozilla file.
> I haven't used Thunderbird, so I don't know if it
> keeps its mail in /var/mail/matthew (where you'll also
> find systems messages), ~/Mail, or under ~/.mozilla

Whilst excluding the cache which also lives under .mozilla!

I use an rsync script that uses --exclude-from=/home/$1/somewhere/rsync-exclude
(where $1 is the user!)
and mine contains patterns like

robert/.nautilus/thumbnails
robert/.emacs.d
robert/core.*
robert/.mozilla/firefox/default.odv/Cache

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/
Robert Marshall