[SC.LUG] Results so far of 64 bit upgrade

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Tue Sep 25 10:32:46 BST 2007

Hello all,

I've installed 64 Bit Xubuntu Feisty onto a new Hard Drive and must say
I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

All I've changed is from an IDE Hard drive to SATA, from 32 Bit OS to 64
Bit, and from Gnome to XFCE.

My total boot time has reduced from 1 min 55 seconds to 1 min 20
seconds. Everything seems a little quicker. In fact I'm waiting for a
downside!

I couldn't install WINE at all because apparently it doesn't support 64
bit, but this is not a huge problem because I haven't had cause to use
it yet.

Also for some reason ClamAV didn't install correctly, but at the moment
I'm not sure why.

I also hear there may be website plugins that aren't well supported by
the 64 bit version. Is this anywhere near accurate?

Regards,

Matthew