[SC.LUG] Backing Up Query

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 13 11:30:30 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 09:47 +0000, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> > It appears there are enough themes, backgrounds etc to make the big
> > 3 stable GUIs all look identical if necessary (apart from the main
> > menu button perhaps), which leads me to this question:  If
> > look'n'feel is not a differentiating factor between GUIs, why
> > shouldn't I just choose the fastest stable GUI (which of the 'big
> > three' would appear to be Xfce)?

Hmm. There are no *strong* reasons, but there are
personal reasons. Try them for a week each, and
see what you think.

> > Are there some other criteria by which I could make my choice? What
> > functions might I miss if I choose Xfce?

XFCe has similar functionality, afaict, and
will naturally run any KDE or GNOME app (given
memory space for additional shared libraries),
but if you've been using GNOME for a while
there may be something you take for granted
that's not there.

As you're using ubuntu you can simply install
the three desktop packages and have all of
them to try, so you needn't miss out on
trying any of them.

> I'm still in the 'experimentation' stage, playing with distros and UIs / WMs.

Do you need a desktop environment at all? A lightweight
window manager won't offer you a DE's functionality but
will speed up your computer and avoid getting in your
way. Have a look at GeUbuntu - now known as OpenGEU.
It's Ubuntu with E17, and GNOME packages to complete
the missing functionality.
http://opengeu.intilinux.com/

Morris Minor Convertible for sale:
www.goodgnus.org/mmconvertible4sale/