[SC.LUG] [Fwd: openSUSE DVDs for Linux User Groups]

Eion MacDonald eionmac at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 26 20:10:13 BST 2008

--
Some answers:
1. Not distributing, as although on LUG, I  due to many reasons only

2.  "btw anyone still use SUSE?" YES!
a) I use some two machines on triple boot (Desktop)/dual boot (laptop)
and also Live Linux (Knoppix/SuSE)on own and many other sets of
friends/acquaintances when fault chasing for other folks.
b)Base set up is windows default(as used by other family members) either
SuSE or UBUNTU as 2nd system and third is reverse or experimental Distro
currently PClinuxOS

c) SUSE (KDE 3+)although somewhat more difficult to upgrade/patch than
UBUNTU gave me greater control, and an easier correspondence for others
to use in Thunderbird /Firefox with their windows experience etc. Albeit
some UBUNTU (GNOME)choices were simpler [but replace email to
Thunderbird for compatibility with windows where I wean folk (usually
age 60 +)onto Firefox/ Thunderbird/ OO.org before switch to Gnu/Linux]
and more straight forward and easier for a newbie to keep patched and
use for multi media.
But total destruction in UBUNTU  on an automatic kernel change/upgrade.
I use video/multimedia very rarely, I found SUSE adequate to my needs.
It gives warnings of kernel upgrades.

I usually use Ubuntu/PCLinuxOS or SLAX for newbies when introducing them
to GNU/Linux (due multimedia problem with SuSE)
Ubuntu has difficulty with some older set ups, (Win 98 era)Knoppix does
not and I find I test on Knoppix then use another for 'work' purposes.

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac at btinternet.com)

Electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
 If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.