[SC.LUG] Oranges and lemons

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 20:10:53 UTC 2008

List is a bit quiet, so I though you might have some amusement with this -

I have an fsmail webmail account (now run by Orange) it's convenient and
the address is < 15 chars so easy to type for people who want to send me
newsletters and the spam trapping is not a load on my m/c and reasonably
good. Recently they upgraded the s/w (well it was inaccessible for a bit
with prior warning so I assume that's what they were doing). After this
I've noticed that certain newletters were missing the initial letter of the
subject, so I was amused by adverts for things such as

00 GB USB drive
9" widescreen monitor

but I'm easily amused. When another newsletter started exhibiting this
behaviour I started blaming the webmail rather than the senders (I suppose
it's possible they could use the same buggy s/w?).
Being helpful, I decided to report it, after about the 3rd email exchange I
got the following gem from them

	  In regards to your query we do not support Linux and firefox as
	  it is a third party software , we advise you to upgrade your
	  computer to Windows XP and internet explorer with the help of the
	  local computer vendor.

where Orange appear to be claiming that xp and IE isn't 3rd party s/w!?
I suppose it is remotely possible that the css could be misplacing the
subject with firefox - but having checked with IE (shhh!) I know that isn't
true. I guess it is a helpdesk person following a script...

There's a screen shot with a few further details at

http://rmstar.blogspot.com/search/label/lemons

does anyone does get Aria's near daily email and want to confirm that the
subjects are unmangled?

They are currently claiming that the faulty subject emails could be spam
and I should set up a filter - that would at least prevent any more
appearing :-)

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/