[SC.LUG] SC Digest, Vol 241, Issue 3 Coraldraw files

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 16 19:09:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:56 +0100, michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
> Have you got Open Office?
> It comes in windoze ot Linux versions.
> You may well be able to download a filter to open CD files.

Sadly it won't. However, given an MS Windows version of
Corel Draw, you can save in binary SVG format (I think
Corel call it .cmg or somesuch), and then open it up
in OOo Impress (and grab the image).

> Another possible route is to download Helix Computer forensics .iso
> and use it as a boot CD. This seems to be able to break into any file
> format, its basically a Knoppix Live CD with a load of hacking tools.

It looks v useful, but afaict there's nothing to
natively support .cdr on GNU/Linux save sk1 (and
its uniconverter component), which won't open these
particular Corel Draw files (too new). :-(

> Also look at hard core hacking tools sites.
> I rarely find any file that can't be broken into, UNLESS you work for
> an idiot firm that only allows "Proper" software.

In general my firm allows only FOSS ;-)

> Personally I use "If it works its legal!"

Fair enough.

Thanks for the ideas, but in the end the only way
in was a friend with a proprietary platform running
the latest Corel Draw.

Cheers,