[SC.LUG] Distro Changes & Gnucash

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.co.uk
Sat May 2 15:00:33 UTC 2009

Hello all,

My apologies for being quiet of late - the energy efficiency business
has been keeping me pretty busy recently.

As some of you know, I am not anywhere near as IT-literate as most of
you, but since my belief in free / open source software is stronger than
my fear of the command line, I made the switch from Windows to Ubuntu
some years ago - it being the first distro that worked for my PC!

Last month I identified all the important directories in /home,
including /home/Gnucash, and backed them up for the first time since
August last year, and then installed Debian 64-bit, wiping out Ubuntu.

Sadly, Debian booted to a command line only, seemingly failing to
recognise my graphics and network cards. A subsequent installation of
Debian 32-bit achieved exactly the same result.

Regrettably, I do not have the IT skills to fix the problem, so after a
brief flirtation with Fedora 10 (great security features, but the
default bootloader failed to recognise the OS on my other Hard drive), I
found myself feeling somewhat defeated and installing Ubuntu again.

Unfortunately, I had not been as thorough in backing up some of the
/home directories as I thought. I had backed up /home/Gnucash, but not
/home/.gnucash.

Oops.

I installed and opened Gnucash, and found that I now have no access to
the last 12 years of financial records which I have been keeping. I felt
a bit like a high street bank :-[ .

What I do have is a /home/.gnucash backup from August last year, but
copying it into /home (merging with the directory which was already
there) did not produce any visible data. All there is in /home/Gnucash
is a bunch of .log and .xac files, plus a zipped file that I cannot
presently extract. Gnucash has an option to 'replay' a .log file (not
sure what that means), but again this did not produce any beneficial
results.

So my question, after all that, is this... how can I recover the maximum
amount of data into Gnucash (or similar)?

I would welcome all your thoughts on this!

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew