[SC.LUG] Karmic zapped my GDM. Help!

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 17:03:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009, Matthew Tolley wrote:

> Robert Marshall wrote:
>> It is , apparently a feature - gdm themes no longer work, you can change
>> the colour and , umm, that's about it.
>>
>> http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/09/hack-karmics-gdm-login-screen.html
>>

> Yes I tried the steps at this URL but got the message :
>
> sudo -u gdm gnome-control-center command not found

Sorry to lead you up the garden path here, I was really pointing to the
replacement rather than the command sequence to get it back and it says:

<quote>
Ubuntu developers have already stated that a level of customization once offered with the old GDM will not be available for Karmic.

Until then we can hack the GDM to change the background, theme, fonts and
some minor features. While not as robust as before, it's better then the
ugly brown sand option that Karmic testers are stuck with.
</quote>

so won't work in karmic :-(

>> Do you have the button for configuring the window manager/enviroment to
>> login with on the login screen - I don't - and as I normally use fluxbox
>> but would like to see the kde changes I'm going to have to poke around
>> to change it...my wife's desktop does have the 'session' button but my
>> laptop is missing it!
>>

> On my PC the 'session' button only appears after rebooting at the point
> where I select the user (before I put the password in).

Thanks for this I was paying no attention to the screen  border once i'd
entered the user name. I guess they intend to allow  different set of
sessions per user? Successfully inspected the new kde environment (we develop
using qt so it's of some interest)

> I've been dissatisfied with Ubuntu for some time but as I mentioned
> before Debian doesn't recognise my Realtek 8139 network card - something
> to do with a conflict between the 8139cp and 8139too drivers which I
> don't have the technical knowledge to fix.
>
> It's enough to make you want to create a new distro!
>
> Hmmm, there's an idea........

It also does unpleasant things - with the closed nvidia drivers and my work
laptop's graphics card, mainly when not working with dual monitors (which
is what I want the xinerama support for)

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/
Robert Marshall