[SC.LUG] [Fwd: [backstage] Disconected from internet]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 3 14:23:39 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 	Thu, 3 Sep 2009 03:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	Glyn Wintle
To: 	backstage at lists.bbc.co.uk

Open Rights Group, Which?, talktalk, BT, Consumer Focus and Orange responding to the governments plans to disconnect users from the internet because some one has _accused_ them of infringing copyright.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article6819093.ece

Sir, We agree that the creative industries play an important role in the UK and understand the challenge that illegal filesharing presents (letter, Sept 1). We do not condone or encourage such activity, but we are concerned that the Government’s latest proposals on the "how" to reduce illegal filesharing are misconceived and threaten broadband consumers’ rights and the development of new attractive services. Experience in other countries suggests that pursuing such an approach can result in significant consumer resistance. Any new policy must be considered very carefully.

Any decision to move to harsh and punitive measures such as disconnection must be genuinely underpinned by rigorous and objective assessment by Ofcom. Consumers must be presumed to be innocent unless proven guilty. We must avoid an extrajudicial “kangaroo court” process where evidence is not tested properly and accused broadband users are denied the right to defend themselves against false accusations. Without these protections innocent customers will suffer. Any penalty must be proportionate. Disconnecting users from the internet would place serious limits on their freedom of expression. Usually, constraints to freedom of expression are imposed only as the result of custodial sentences, or incitement to racial hatred, or libel. The proposal that internet service providers — and by implication broadband customers — should pay most of the cost of these measures to support the creative industries is grossly unfair since the vast majority of
consumers do not fileshare illegally. Further, this payment approach would discourage content industries from developing new services.

We hope that the Government will consider genuinely consumers’ rights in its endeavours to protect the creative industries.

Charles Dunstone, talktalk

Ian Livingston, BT

Jim Killock, Open Rights Group

Ed Mayo, Consumer Focus

Deborah Prince, Which?

Tom Alexander, Orange UK

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/