[SC.LUG] [Fwd: [lugmaster] DEC Legacy, 17-18th April, Windermere, UK]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 11 14:28:46 UTC 2010

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk>

Hi Guys,

Nice to see some traffic on the list!

Hope people don't mind but I'd like to mention an event I'm organising
in April in Windermere - the primary focus is for folks interested in
DEC, Compaq and HP kit, both historic and modern, but, for example, I'll
be demonstrating an HP dual Itanium-2 based workstation running Debian
5.04 (which considering the box is a few years old it does very nicely).
I'll also be bringing along a DEC 1000A Alpha server which has an eight
canister drive array built in and may see how many operating system
variants can be installed (I think there are at least six out there). If
you've never tried OpenVMS I'd also recommend coming along and having a
play - it's a nice juxtaposition to the Unix philosophy and well worth a
look - there will also be a programming competition, talks, some
seriously old kit such as PDP/8s, 11s, etc. to ponder over.

More details on the website: http://declegacy.org.uk
All proceeds going to the National Museum of Computing.

Cheers, Mark.