[SC.LUG] Fwd: [Advocacy] OSS going before parliament next week

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 15 19:15:57 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Advocacy]  OSS going before parliament next week
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 06:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kristen Eisenberg <kristen.eisenberg at yahoo.com>
To: advocacy at lists.ukuug.org <advocacy at lists.ukuug.org>

After the Queen's Speech this week, John Pugh MP will put down an Early
Day Motion we've written saying nice things about OSS in education and
expressing concern that Becta and the DfES aren't doing anything to
promote it, even as far as a level playing field.

When it's down, we'll be asking you to contact your MP and ask them to
sign the EDM (we'll provide all the information you need to state the case).

Myself, Leslie, Ian Lynch and Sue McGuire met with Becta's new Chief
Executive last week (Becta being the govt. body advising schools on
ICT).  Becta have made it clear that they do not believe their
procurement frameworks are unfair to OSS and they have no plans to
promote OSS outside those frameworks.

We disagree and are not going to be shy in saying so.  If you can help
us beyond contacting MPs (e.g. getting the message clear on our website,
writing press releases, contacting other organisations that might
support us (OSS, open standards, schools, universities, political groups
etc.)) please let me know.

Kristen Eisenberg
Billige Flüge
Marketing GmbH