[SC.LUG] Fwd: [Rugby - LUG] Fwd: Government snooping? Protests and meetings in Manchester, London and North Wales

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 16 18:26:55 UTC 2012

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Killock <jim.killock at action.openrightsgroup.org>
Date: 16 April 2012 13:20
Subject: Government snooping? Protests and meetings in Manchester, London
and North Wales

[image: Logo] <http://www.openrightsgroup.org/>

Dear Craig,

The *government snooping plan*, the *"Communications Capabilities
Development Programme" is rolling ahead*: the story broke in the Sunday
Telegraph, and then the Sunday
Times<http://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/Communications_Capabilities_Development_Programme>.
This time, the government reacted by pretending that the system will be
limited and designed merely to maintain their current abilities.

Now is a great time to *write a personal email to your
MP<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=8601>
. *We aren't asking people to send form letters just yet. But writing in
your own words can be very powerful - even if you write briefly. You can
read our briefing:* http://www.openrightsgroup.org/issues/ccdp*
<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=8601>
We are also talking about CCDP in *Bangor on Wednesday 25th and Manchester,
on Thursday 26th:*

http://softwarealliancewales.com/Can_the_law_and_regulation_save_us_from_corporate_and_government_snooping<https://www.facebook.com/events/340048756054400/>

Manchester: Cybersapace, the Final Frontier for democracy
<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=8601>
And in London, ORG, LSE, Privacy International, Big Brother Watch and the
Foundation for Information Policy Research have teamed up to provide an
afternoon of debate and campaigning, called *Scrambling for Safety,
Thursday 19th in the afternoon*. David Davis MP, Julian Huppert MP and
Shami Chaktrabati of Liberty will be speaking, alongside commercial and
police representatives.

http://scramblingforsafety.org/

The CCDP leaks are trailing two very different systems. The first would
involve ISPs intercepting your webmail, social media and forum chat, and
storing the data showing who you talk to.

The second proposal would allow the police to gain access to the same
"communications data" (who you talk to, and when) from big web companies.
They would be able to get this data without a warrant, just by police
officer simply signing a form, just as they do for phone bills today.

We want to tease out just how unregulated and instrusive both of these
plans are, and find ways to campaign to stop them. Please come along:

http://scramblingforsafety.org/

<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=8601>
Hope to see you there,

Jim Killock, Executive Director, Open Rights Group
If you wish to opt out of future emails, you can do so
here<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=6660>
.
If you like what we do, then why not join
us<http://www.openrightsgroup.org/join>
?
[image: WeB BuG]

--