[SC.LUG] Keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.co.uk
Wed Jun 13 07:38:14 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Since upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 around a month ago some of my often-used
keyboard navigation shortcuts no longer work.

Zooming in or out using Ctrl and + or - no longer works, but far more
annoyingly my favourite shortcut of Alt+Tab to switch between windows or
applications also no longer works.

All these shortcuts seem to be set up correctly in my System Settings
(as far as I can tell) and some shortcuts (which I hardly ever use) seem
to work fine (such as Ctrl+Alt+Shift+left or right to switch between
workspaces). The non-functioning shortcuts also work fine when I run
another OS on the same machine, so that rules out hardware faults.

A brief search of Ubuntu forums suggests I am not alone, but instead of
Ubuntu fixing the issue at source there are a wide variety of differing
workarounds which mostly go above my level of technical knowledge.

Could someone assist me with a fix for this which is simple enough that
my non-technical brain can cope with?

Many thanks,

Matthew Tolley