[SC.LUG] Fwd: Fwd: Help beat the Snooper's Charter - free workshops

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 18 14:16:46 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message -----
From: "Jim Killock"
Subject: Help beat the Snooper's Charter - free workshops

We're running a series of free workshops over the next few weeks to help
you learn about the "Snooper's Charter" and censorship and practice
lobbying your MP.

Join us and become a digital rights champion! Here's where we'll be and
when, with links to the Eventbrite pages where you can sign up:

- London, Wednesday, 20 June: http://orglondontraining.eventbrite.com/
- Edinburgh, Saturday 23 June: http://orgedinburghtraining.eventbrite.com/
- Manchester, Wednesday 27 June:
http://orgmanchestertraining.eventbrite.com/
- Sheffield, Thursday 28 June: http://bit.ly/orgshefcst
- Birmingham, Wednesday, 4 July:
http://orgbirminghamtraining.eventbrite.com/
- Bristol, Saturday 7 July: http://orgbristoltraining.eventbrite.com/

*What's happening?*

Open Rights Group needs your help to defeat the latest attacks on
internet freedom! We need to convince MPs that they should oppose new
proposals for more surveillance and censorship.

These training sessions will help you learn about two of the biggest
current digital rights issues. And we'll help you practice how to
discuss them with your MP. The training will last for around four hours.
First we will give you a good background briefing on the issues and an
overview of the campaigns. Then we will do some practical training on
how to speak to your MP, and cover other campaigning ideas too.

We'll be covering two big topics:

1. The "Snoopers' Charter" - aka the Communications Data Bill - was
announced in the Queen's speech and is about to be published by the
government. The bill will create new powers to intercept and collect
information about who you talk to online. Your communications via
Google, Facebook or Skype will now be open to what may be a large number
of government officials. We want to see the powers to collect and access
communications data tightened up, not extended ever further.

2. Internet censorship. The government is considering whether Internet
Service Providers should have to block websites that contain 'adult
content' by default, with an 'opt out' for uncensored access. That would
mean an infrastructure of censorship that could, through mistakes, abuse
or mission creep, lead to more and more content being blocked for people
in the UK. Our research
(http://www.openrightsgroup.org/ourwork/reports/mobile-internet-censorship:-whats-happening-and-what-we-can-do-about-it)
on mobile Internet censorship recently showed how often the wrong
websites can be filtered, for example. We want to prevent this further
move towards private policing of the internet and free speech, and
recommend better ways to help parents manage their children's Internet
access.

You can help stop these proposals. And we are here to help you!

You don't need any previous knowledge of the issues or experience
talking with your MP.

Join us. And tell your friends!

Thank you,

Jim Killock
Executive Director

If you like what we do, then why not join ORG?
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/join