[SC.LUG] Fwd: [Rugby - LUG] Blender Open Movie Tears of Steel released

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 27 09:48:16 UTC 2012

fyi

-------- Original Message --------
From: Daniel Faulkner

This might be of some interest to people on this list.

The latest Blender movie was released yesterday and can be
viewed/downloaded from http://mango.blender.org/ .

For those not aware of the blender foundation projects this is the 4th film
the blender foundation have made. All the films use the open source 3D
modelling software Blender and GIMP for most of the 2D work. The films are
to demonstrate that open source software can create graphics comparable to
commercial products.

As well as releasing the film they will also (as they have in the past)
include in a DVD set the raw footage and files to remix the film. If your
interested in the content and the extras buying the DVD helps fund further
projects.

The latest film Tears of Steel is set in a future with a robotic uprising
taking place. Tears of Steel is the first short film from the blender
foundation to mix real actors with a computer generated world. I would
recommend giving it a look, personally I was impressed with how well the CG
elements and the real footage has been combined.

Daniel

Other films from the foundation: http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/
http://www.elephantsdream.org/ http://www.sintel.org/