[SLUG] Disc and print sharing with XP

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 17:09:35 GMT 2004

Hi

I'm working through the part of my book (RH9 remember) about sharing
stuff with Windows, as I'd like to share the printer that's on my
Linux machine, and one of the hard discs.

All went well, I've installed and configured Samba and it says it's
running smbd and nmdb.

But when the book reached the part about allowing Windows through my
firewall, it says to click the Gnome menu, System settings, security
level, and then at the bottom there's a bit called 'other ports' into
which I'm supposed to add
137:tcp,137:udp,138:tcp,138:udp,139:tcp,139:udp

The problem is, that box isn't there. It's not there when I'm root,
nor as a user, and it's not there regardless of the things I click.

I've not set about working out how to get XP to connect, but I'm
thinking it will never show the Linux shares because it'll be
rejected.

Where is this firewall anyway? My linux is connected via ethernet to
the XP machine and the switch connects to the DSL modem, which itself
has a firewall, and that's where I'd expect to find one.

Does my linux machine have a firewall all of its own? To protect
against internal network traffic?

What would happen if I switched that off, given that I trust the XP
machine and the DSL modem has a firewall? At least temporarily while I
work out the connections to XP.