[SLUG] Disc and print sharing with XP

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Wed Dec 1 22:57:06 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 18:20 +0000, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> > It's not happy with the printer either, but again I can see the samba
> > shared machine.
>
> I ended up creating a 'raw' print queue using cups... enabling sharing,
> and it was then available by using the printer
> http://myipaddress:631/myprintqueue on the windows machine...

As Stephen has pointed out, newer windows can just use ipp (internet
printing protocol) to talk directly to cups. So you don't need samba for
that.

You can just grab the adobe windows postscript drivers[1] and give the
installer the ipp url when it asks for it.(http://box:631/printers/name)

Saves creating a raw queue. And it also means you can print to a ps/eps
file from any app on windows that can print. (Not all windows printer
drivers let you do this).

Just make sure you have "Allow From @LOCAL" in the <Location /> ...
</Location> section and "BrowseAllow @LOCAL" in your cupsd.conf.

The printer won't show up in the "Network Neighbourhood" thing though.

 [1]
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows

Regards,
Gav