[SLUG] Disc and print sharing with XP

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Wed Dec 1 23:11:02 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:00 -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> >> I've not set about working out how to get XP to connect, but I'm
> >> thinking it will never show the Linux shares because it'll be
> >> rejected.
> >
> > The XP box shows the linux Samba share. Whoopedo. But won't let me
> > view the contents, so it is the firewall I need to sort out by the
> > looks of it.

Probably permissions. Did you create a samba password file?

try "smbpasswd" in a terminal to change your users samba password, or
try "smbpasswd -a <username>" as root to add <username> to the samba
password file.

Also, does redhat share home directories by default?

I have

 [homes]
   comment = User Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no

In my smb.conf.

> Seems I'll have to learn iptables. That's 2morrows job then.

If redhat has started a firewall, then the startup script will live with
the rest of them in /etc/init.d. If it's called iptables, you can stop
it with  "/etc/init.d/iptables stop".

Otherwise, check iptables -F and -D options...

or just do

  iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 137:139 -j ACCEPT
  iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 137:139 -j ACCEPT

as root.

Regards,
Gav