[SLUG] Disc and print sharing with XP

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 17:46:58 GMT 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 08:18, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> <SNIP>
> The more I know, the more I think Linux ain't for normal people.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this comment John. Regardless of your
preferred OS once you pass the boundaries of a standalone computer
things become more involved.

I know this is a Linux mailing list but just to make my point. Have you
ever setup a full Active Directory under Windows 2000 Server? Believe
me it's a beast and takes hours of learning to gain the understanding
and experience required to successfully and correctly set it up.
Furthermore that's just one aspect. What about correctly configuring
clients? Giving them all Internet access? Security? Backup? Routing?
Internet protocols? Internet services such as DNS, FTP, VPN? I could on
and on. My point is networking is a hugh subject and applies to any OS
not just Linux.

I am not trying to put you off learning any of this stuff but it's a
broad area and is not learnt in 5 minutes. I've been at it 10 years
plus and still learn something everyday.

Stick at it ;)

Regards

Paul.

--