[SLUG] meeting dates etc. (was Next meet)

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Thu Dec 30 13:51:01 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 08:19:39PM GMT, Phil Kershaw wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think we should be trying to plan meetings for the whole year and
> posting this on the web site, rather than the ad-hoc way we are doing it
> at the moment. If dates and venues are arranged before hand people can
> make the necessary arrangements at home/work. Could this be an item for
> discussion at the next meeting?

For the last few months of last year we managed to have a series of
dates, surely this can be arranged again.  As Phil says dates for the
whole year would be nice even if they are only provisionally set. I'm
sure Scalby School would be happier knowing what dates in advance and we
should do all we can to avoid upsetting them!  I'd be happy if meeting
dates were on regular days (as in 1st Tuesday of the month, or
whatever).  I do realise this might be awkward for those who work shifts
though.  Certainly some sort of calendar on the website is needed.

Earlier this year Gav suggested that details of the topics discussed and
things that were done at meets should be written up and displayed on the
website.  Also that future topics for discussion etc. should be made
available on the site so that people can see what we do and what's
intended.  This was an excellent suggestion and should be put into
place.  As January's meet seems to becoming a trial of various live CDs I
feel this should go on the site when a date is known.  Software Patents
and the LaTeX talks are coming soon, so this information should be
taking frontpage space on the website.

With the use of the school and a couple of talks in the pipeline I think
2005 looks to be starting well.  Lets see if we can get the ball really
rolling this year.