[sclug] Should I worry?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 23:49:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Rus Foster wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Tony Sumner wrote:
>
> > Every so often when I reboot I get the reply 'crc error' when loading
> > the kernel. Usually I just boot again and the kernel loads but this
> > morning it did it twice on the trot. Should I move /boot to another
> > place on the disc? Buy another? What do you suggest?
> >

> I would think look at memory. Do you get weird crashed?

Backup any important data to be on the safe side.

To check memory, grab a copy of memtest86. I used this to shake out some
hardware bugs in the cache controller on an old 486 board I used (write-back
occasionally corrupted writes, write through didn't, and could be tweaked to
be 2x faster anyway... boggle)

> Rus

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?