[sclug] Redhat 9 desktop config problem

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 13:46:16 UTC 2003

On my RH7.3 desktop box, I'm running Gnome/Sawfish and have the desktop
configured to have a single workspace with a 10x2 virtual desktop.  This
means that if I move the mouse pointer off the sides of the display, it
flips to the adjoining virtual desktop.

In RH9, again using Gnome and Sawfish, I can configure multiple workspaces,
but it doesn't appear to be possible to flip between them this way.  The
virtual desktop configuration options seem to have disappeared from the
Sawfish configuration tool.

Anyone know how to make get this to work the way I want?  Changing window
managers may be an option if it's the only way forward, though I'm half-
tempted to go back to fvwm.  The point'n'drool interface RedHat think is
so great in RH9 just gets in my way.  If I wanted something aimed at
clueless Windows users, I'd use Windows.

James