[sclug] Linux From Scratch

Ifor Lewis ifor at iforlewis.com
Tue Nov 4 22:23:10 UTC 2003

Hi. I installed an LFS system about a month ago and haven't looked back
since. I have been on Linux for about 18 months but learnt sooo much
doing the LFS system that I must have increased my knowledge by twice
fold.

I would thoroughly recommend it to all readers of the list. I used the
CVS version of the book and ran into no *major problems but there were
some minor ones... Nothing too scary though.

If you have a spare partition or a spare old hard drive and quite a few
spare hours, I would say give it a go.

I'm now playing around with the latest 2.6.0 kernel and have my previous
Mandrake 9.1 install alongside by new LFS system. I also used the
Beyond-LFS book and have now got everything that I really use on my
Mandrake distro.

So much more fun to install the lot from the source code.

I even got my Nvidia GeForce2 MX card working under 2.6.0 kernel. See
http://minion.de/nvidia.html The only remaining problem is my
WinModem...

Now I might wipe my old Windows XP install and put the LFS in its
partition? Anybody have any advice for doing this?

Ifor