[sclug] Euro Symbol the answer. :-(

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 09:36:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:

> The answer is there is no solution that I would say is acceptable.

<panto>
Oh, yes there is!

Just add

keycode 0x74 = Multi_key
add Mod3 = Multi_key

to /etc/X11/Xmodmap, restart X and the Right Windows key should  act as I've
described with RH9+ (I've tested with Fedora). I don't know why this
behaviour changed with RH9+. Go ask RH. ;-)

> If you have a UK keyboard then it will work well with RH8.
>
>  Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>  Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
>
> the right "Windows" Key acting as compose.
>
> If you change to a US keyboard and use
>
>  Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>  Option      "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
>
> The <Win> = e gives ? and <Win> = l gives you a ? plus some other
> characters though not as many as teh UK keyboard.
>
> "Upgrade"(?) to RH9 and you break both keyboards.  Though the
> UK keyboard does retain the <Alt_R> 4 for the ? (I think)
>
> What a mess.

Get compose working, and you'll never look back on the way Windows does it.

> Tom.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?