[sclug] Mozilla and NT Authentication

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Chris Pugh wrote:

> I use Mozilla as my browser but am having some problems accessing a few areas
> on our Intranet.
>
> The pages in question use NT Challenge/Response Passowrds (I think also called
> NTLM).  Mozilla gives an error as below:
> ==========================
> 401.2 Unauthorized: Logon Failed due to server configuration
>
> This error indicates that the credentials passed to the server do not matcht
>  he credentials required to log on to the server. This is usually caused byn
>  ot sending the proper WWW-Authenticate header field.
> ==========================
>
> I have got every other aspect of Linux working perfectly and never need tob
>  oot into W2K, but this is really bugging me.  I have done plenty of
> searches, but can't find any help.

You need to authenticate using

username: NTDOMAIN\DOMAINUSER
password: DOMAINPASSWORD

the \ might actually be a / - I can't remember as it's been a while and
Microsoft are awfully inconsistent on this point. (What's new? ;-)

If authenticating using \ doesn't work, quit your browser and try again
using /.

> Cheers,
> Chris.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?