[sclug] HP TO SHIP PRE-LOADED LINUX LAPTOPS

Mike Mallett mike.mallett at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 4 23:00:35 UTC 2004

Spotted this on Newscan ....

HP TO SHIP PRE-LOADED LINUX LAPTOPS
       In a sign that Linux is rapidly gaining traction in the
desktop/laptop world, Hewlett-Packard announced plans to ship a business
notebook computer with the Linux operating system pre-installed. The HP
Compaq nx5000 will come loaded with Novell's SUSE Linux OS and prices will
start at about $1,140 -- about $60 less than the basic model running
Microsoft Windows XP. HP is touting its move as the first major PC maker to
ship a Linux laptop, but California-based Tadpole Computer Inc. also markets
a line of Linux notebooks. HP VP for Linux Martin Fink says the company's
foray into Linux laptops will test whether "we can see the take up we get
for this particular product." (AP 3 Aug 2004)
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040803/D847VOV81.html