[sclug] iptables

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Sat Aug 7 12:42:58 UTC 2004

Okay you iptables gurus.

I'm having problems configuring iptables on my name server.

Want I really want to do is as follows.

dns.tmdg.co.uk updates the two real name servers for the domain
	ns1.dns.houxou.com and ns2.dns.houxou.com.
dns.tmdg.co.uk will answer requests from rg.tmdg.co.uk.
dns.tmdg.co.uk will answer requests from sn.tmdg.co.uk.

Now with iptables off  everything is fine  but as soon as I turn on
iptables thats it no access to the name server.

with iptables --list on I get :-

Chain MY-Input (2 references)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp
spt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpt:domain flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  dns.tmdg.co.uk    anywhere           udp spt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  ns1.dns.houxou.com   anywhere           udp
spt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  ns2.dns.houxou.com   anywhere           udp
spt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  rg.tmdg.co.uk        anywhere           udp
spt:domain
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp
reject-with icmp

There is more bu tI chopped that out. :-)

To my untrained eye that says I accept any traffic on port 53.

So what is the magic to allow me to run the iptables firewall and allow
the nameserver to work?

Regards,
Tom.

--
main(int c,char **v){long x;while(--c){sscanf(*++v,"%li",&x);
printf("Decimal = %ld\nHex = 0x%lx\nOctal = 0%lo\n",x,x,x);}}