[Fwd: Re: [sclug] PDA's?]

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Sun Jan 4 12:49:32 UTC 2004

* Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> [2004-01-04 03:06:37]:

> Matt wrote:
>
> | Yup, got a 5500 here, works great. The only thing I miss on my Palm was
> | the better battery life. What can't you do with one? Not found anything
> | within reason yet; watch movies, play music, sniff WiFi networks, use as
> | a serial terminal, write code, etc. all possible.
>
> I also have a Zaurus SL-5500 running Open Zaurus. I have moved the
> majority of the root filesystem contents to SD Card and Compact
> Flash and find it quite adequate for using on the train or bus
> while the USB charger I bought helps with battery life.

I've not gone quite that far yet, but I do try and install packages to
SD, and use the CF card just for data so I don't lose too much if I use
the WiFi card instead. I will probably move the root over to SD entirely
at some point.

> | Oh, and don't get a SanDisk SD card for it.
>
> I put a recommendation in to work to badblock check all out Compact
> Flash cards before shipping due to general problems with them.

I've not had the same problem with CF media, in fact I have a SanDisk
Ultra card that has been formatted for both BSD and Linux and used as a
root disk for embedded hardware with no trouble. It's now happy in my
Zaurus as 'data' storage.

Only when browsing the Zaurus mailing list(s) that it became obvious
that quite a lot of people had trouble with SanDisk SD media, with
apparently little/no trouble with other brands.

> If you buy one from somewhere like Photopix (is that the name?) in the
> Oracle then they will show no surprise if you return it as faulty.

Mine died quite soon after converting to ext2fs and installing a few
packages, suddenly it just shredded itself and no running of badblocks,
e2fsck, etc. would complete successfully without tying itself up in
knots.

I got mine from picstop.co.uk who were great in sending me a replacement
Lexar card instead, which has worked fine.

Matt
--
"The way to a man's belief is through confusion and absurdity."