[sclug] Broadband

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 13:48:38 UTC 2004

I have been using NTL (the cheapskate "midband" 150k service at
?18/month) for the past 18 months.

Technically the service has been fine - there were a couple of weeks
when their POP servers weren't working but that's been the only service
interruption.  Contention doesn't appear to be a problem.

On the billing / customer service front they were initially appalling -
They tried to bill me ?25 for my "free" installation; for some reason
the cancellation of this charge wasn't passed on to their debt recovery
people / system resulting in a series of threatening letters and a
phone call from a Debt Collection agency.  My phone calls and letters
of complaint to NTL were ignored.  If we didn't need the cable feed to
get a decent analogue TV signal I probably would have cancelled the
contract at this point - however since all that hassle there haven't
been any more billing problems.

The cable modem workes with both USB and ethernet - a definite plus -
and they don't mind you hosting http / ftp servers provided traffic is
kept low.  Dynamic IP addressing only (but you can use no-ip to get
around that).

James.
 --- Steve Tompkins <steve at topcat.uklinux.net> wrote: > Hi just a short
E-mail to ask (as I'm thinking of going over to