[sclug] Webcams

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Tue Jan 20 20:41:13 UTC 2004

* Neil Haughton <n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com> [2004-01-20 18:47:48]:
> I was toying with the idea of a webcam in the garden - but was put off
> by the apparent restriction of 5m from a USB device to the host PC.
> Even if I network up a spare PC located in the garden shed, the ideal
> position for a webcam (birds, badgers, foxes etc) is much more than 5m
> away from it. Has anyone any experience with 'long-distance' remote
> webcams (without spending a fortune on the latest NASA or ESA
> technology) who would be willing to educate me?

You can get powered USB repeater cables that should overcome the 5m
restriction. videk.co.uk offer such a product, although I've not used
one, I just saw them mentioned in their catalogue.

You can also get some WiFi-enabled Webcams, but I'm not sure of the
Linux compatibility.

HTH

Matt
--
"If there are no spots on a sugar cube then I've just put a dice in my
tea."