[sclug] [OT] avoiding Rich Text replies in MS Outlook

Chris Aitken Chris at ion-dreams.com
Thu May 13 17:06:55 UTC 2004

> Users of Microsoft Outlook (like me when I'm at work) will
> probably be aware of its penchant for Rich Text. In
> particular, when replying to a message sent to you in Rich
> Text format, you are forced to compose your message in Rich
> Text format, with no option to use plain text. This has
> implications for interoperability, for instance if you want
> to Cc the reply to someone outside the local MS Exchange
> zone, as well as general annoyance.
>
> I mentioned this to Damion last night and he said there was a
> registry hack which solved this problem. Any chance of
> posting it here? It's probably worth pointing out that the
> version in question is Outlook 98.

Interesting....

I don't have this issue at work (outlook2k), or at home (outlookXP).

Maybe its just an exchange-type-issue?

After I hit reply, I have the option to use whatever text I like (Format >
choose text type). Maybe you could open the message, edit it (Edit > Edit
message), change it to plain text, then save it. Then reply.

I do that when I receive list mail in HTML.

Chris

believed to be clean.