[sclug]

James Packham mrjadeo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 24 12:32:24 UTC 2004

Sorry, didn't realise you had questions when you sent it earlier! Not my
day :)

>> So when is the next meeting then,  did i see 6th
>> of june on the site.

Actually I think it says the 9th.

>>  Ahh i know what i want to ask too.  What's this
>>  about that i have to edit resolve.conf  with
>>  my ISP's DNS IP address to actually get my
>>  browser to recognise URL's rather than just IP
>>  adds.

If you edit your interface config file with the line:

PEERDNS=YES

You should get the resolv.conf file updated every time you connect to
your provider (assuming you're on DHCP). It's just the same as you would
specify the DNS or set it to be specified automatically in Windows (This
does answer your question right?).

Here's a help page for RH9 interface settings - they should still be
applicable to FC2:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html

Regards,

James

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 11:56, simon wrote:
> I quite like FC2 although i did make the foolhardy mistake of installing it
>  over FC1 without formatting first, what a mess that was.
>
>  It actually installed FC1+2 pretty much side by side where sometimes i was
>  in my old FC1 environment then i'd be in an FC2 environment.  i had dead
>  hardware all over the place, it was a mess.  Then i formatted it and it's
>  ok, well, i say ok ;-).   So when is the next meeting then,  did i see 6th
>  of june on the site.
>
>  Oh yeah and major stuart,  I know what your going through with your modem..
>  I'm still using windoze for my surfing,  I just can't get it up and running
>  with linux.  Alcatel usb.  I've compiled and installed my drivers but
>  nothing.   Ahh i know what i want to ask too.  What's this about that i
> have
>  to edit resolve.conf  with my ISP's DNS IP address to actually get my
>  browser to recognise URL's rather than just IP adds.

com?put?er (km-pytr)
noun.
- An advanced electronic device that allows the user to quickly and
efficiently repeat the same mistake 50,000 times.