[sclug] Gentoo

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Sun Nov 14 12:31:21 UTC 2004

On Thursday 11 Nov 2004 21:10, Neil Haughton wrote:
> I was seriously toying with the idea of adding a Gento installation to
> my Mandrake/WinXP machine - just for the challenge really, and out of
> curiosity. The portage idea has a certain appeal.
>
> Anyone tried a dual boot Gentoo setup?
>
> Anyone got any advice to offer me, before I leap in? I'm not a Linux
> 'guru' by any stretch of the imagination.

I've not dual-booted, but I shouldn't imagine that would be a big problem.

My advice would be to read through the whole installation manual first (it
won't take you long) and have a look through the other system documentation
(like setting up samba, cups, Xorg, prelink, etc.)

Also, do some info dumps from Mandrake. Get things like the kernel config and
your loaded kernel modules before you start the installation. If you have
some weird hardware, the Gentoo forums are an *excellent* place to find
help... just search them first.

Then install... if you've done that it's really very easy. The manual will
hold your hand through the whole process. It just takes you longer than say a
Mandrake install, but you'll probably enjoy it ;-)

Regards,
Tom