[sclug] Linux Day + other plans +venue??

Alan Cocks aeclist at candt.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 21:15:43 UTC 2004

In article <20041120123546.GD20900 at paranoidfreak.co.uk>, Simon Huggins
<huggie at earth.li> writes
>> Who in the group would usually speak on our behalf?
>
>Anyone on the list with enough motivation and free time to do so in my
>opinion.
>
>But I think if we were to ask the uni nicely we might be able to get
>that room again.  I was considering doing this but I didn't really get
>an overwhelming sense that anyone on the list really wanted to do the
>whole discussion/install day type things again.  It seems silly to
>bother to organise something if no one will come.
>
>So are you all just being very quiet?
>
>Who'd like to speak for not very long about something linux/computer
>related they know about?

I wasn't able to come - was the format one where there was a speaker?

I would be happy to speak briefly as a newbie refugee from windoze,
although most of you don't need to know that stuff! It might be of
interest to a limited few newcomers who are even less experienced than
myself.

Although I know when I came to the Linux Install day at the uni (2002?)
I was already sold on the idea or would not have been there. I was
*most* delighted that I could *witness* linux in the flesh and leave
with it actually installed! I am not so sure I would have wanted (me) to
talk about stuff much, but wanted some action.

My newbie experience has the strategy of using Suse, which allows
escaping from the command line mostly. It is certainly not in the school
of computer studies etc, or anywhere near code.

I would certainly want to support meetings which included some hardware
action, including attracting new users or those thinking about it.
--
Alan Cocks Berkshire UK